Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Soul Finds Rest (Psalm 62)

Last week, I heard a song on Bob Kauflin's blog, Worship Matters, that I think encapsulates the power of music when combined with the Word. My Soul Finds Rest (Psalm 62) was written by Stuart Townend (In Christ Alone, How Deep the Father's Love For Us) and Aaron Keyes. I was so moved by the song that I wanted to share it with you.



Here are a couple of things that I like about the song.

Take a look at the lyrics here. I think you'll find that they are an excellent interpretation of Psalm 62 and are artistically instructive as to where to fix our eyes in the midst of trial and temptation. In his blog, Kauflin describes the song as a Psalm seen through the lens of what Christ has done in the New Testament.

The following stanza is particularly poetic...
Though riches come and riches go,
don't set your heart upon them;
the fields of hope in which I sow
are harvested in heaven.
...and encourages the struggling soul to persevere in seeking the future grace of a life lived for Christ.

I like how the bridge affirms our Christian heritage by incorporating the chorus to the hymn All Creatures of Our God and King (lyrics 1225, melody 1623). Even though we are singing a new song, the bridge reminds us that generations upon generations have sung praises remembering God's faithfulness through the ages.

Musically, I think the melody is very compelling and plants itself in the heart of the listener making it easy to recall the truth of the lyrics. I also like, as Kauflin points out, how the verse is in 5/4, which is an interesting time signature for a corporate worship song; yet, the melody is still sing-able even for the untrained musician.

Take some time now, maybe stop what you're doing and listen again without any distractions. Read the lyrics as you listen and let the Word of God dwell in richly through the song. I hope you like it as much as I do.

2 comments:

JBurrell said...

I recently read an article about Edward Mote's "The Solid Rock." It seems like these songs have the same message and possibly inspiration. Lyrically they both do a great job of pointing me towards the Grace of God.

Scott Johnson said...

This might have been what you wrote about in your blog, but if you have the article at hand I would love to see it.