Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What We Rely On

Sunday afternoon, I was reading through Bob Kauflin's blog Worship Matters. Bob has been a tremendous influence on my thoughts regarding worship and has had a hand in many of the songs we sing at The Crossing (O Great God, The Lord Is, Out of the Depths). He posted some thoughts on the pros and cons of church Christmas productions which, led to the subject of the role of artistic/technical excellence within the church. This is a subject I want to explore a little bit more in the future but, for now, here is a brief excerpt from Bob's post that was an excellent reminder as to what I should be relying on (after faithful preparation) when making music during corporate worship.
...Our talent and expertise are not what we rely on to draw people to Christ. It’s the gospel, proclaimed and demonstrated through a group of ordinary believers who have an extraordinary Savior. It’s our humility, joy, servanthood, power, integrity, and love, all produced by our relationship with a risen Savior.

As Paul put it, “For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God” (1 Cor. 2:2-5)
Amen. Let it be.

No comments: