Thursday, December 11, 2008

In the Midst of the World's Shouts

Sometimes it feels like the rough and noisy sounds and images that contain the empty sentimentalism of the season can overwhelm our thoughts and prevent us from turning our hopes and hearts to the advent of Christ. I'll be honest, I've been struggling to "prepare a place" this week as I have been almost consumed with the details of The Crossing's recent Family Christmas Celebration. I think it's a struggle for everyone.

Henri J. M. Nouwen gives a good word of encouragement in turning our attention back to Christ.
I keep expecting loud and impressive events to convince me and others of God's saving power...our temptation is to be distracted by them. When I have no eyes for the small signs of God's presence - the smile of a baby, the carefree play of children , the words of encouragement and gestures of love offered by friends - I will always remain tempted to despair.

The small child of Bethlehem, the unknown man of Nazareth, the rejected preacher, the naked man on the cross, he asks for my full attention. The work of salvation takes place in the midst of a world that continues to shout, scream and overwhelm us with its claims and promises.


(Advent & Christmas Wisdom From Henri J. M. Nouwen, p. 2)

No comments: